The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Thursday, January 26, 2006

winfrey vs. frey/talese/randomhouse

Well I haven't chimed in on the Frey fiasco because, um well I didn't really feel the need. But then I thought, how can I say I have a blog about publishing and not address this?

At work today, a few of us tuned in to Oprah and watched the showdown. It was good tv that's for sure. Oprah was hot!

Here's what I took from it. Frey really isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Facing Oprah and her "queendom" he looked defeated, confused, still in denial and quite frankly, like he wanted a drink. Talk about pressure.

Nan Talese, you know I felt a little sympathy for her, but then you hear things like they were trying to decide initially whether to publish as fiction or memoir and I am like, are you kidding?

My first stance was publishers shouldn't have to fact check memoirs. It is just too much. But in thinking about this more, I guess someone has to be held accountable and perhaps it is publishers. Then of course there is the understanding that memoirs employ fiction techniques, and memory can be cloudy, etc. you get it.

i haven't read the book, so i can't comment on plausibility. But i think that Frey has raised an issue that publishers should probably think about more--especially when trying to cater to a society that thrives on sensationalism. But for right now, sales of A Million Little Pieces keep rolling in. Do we really value truth? Maybe a good story is all we need.

3 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Millenia Black said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Millenia Black said...

As I've chatted up on my blog, I actually felt sorry for him while watching today's show. I do, however, feel that he needs to just own the fact that the book should've been classified as fiction. He wrote a novel *loosely* based on his experience. That's not a memoir. That's fiction.

Publishers are absolutely accountable for the validity of a memoir or a bio they publish. They should have fact checkers. They can certainly afford to. This would also avoid potential law suits due to misrepresntations or outright fabrications by the author.

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Shelia said...

Frey looked frazzled, but he won't be for long when he cashes his royalty check. People are still buying his book like crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home