The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Monday, January 15, 2007

MLK's Dream

I'm spending the majority of the Martin Luther King's day writing which I've justified by saying thanks in part to the work of MLK, I have the opportunity to pursue my own dreams. But I am still taking the time to reflect on his legacy.

Right now I'm in a fancy coffee shop (free wi-fi and good apple cider) in a gentrified section of Harlem where black people and white people and asian people and latino people are sitting together.

But there is a noticeable awkwardness. We seem to be suspicious of one other. We're sitting together, but we're not speaking. But we're trying jive hard to be PC about it.

Progress? For sure. Is there still work to be done? Indeed.

In the meantime read an article from Richard Prince called "What would Martin read?" Maybe one of my books will be on such a list one day. That would be a dream fulfilled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home