The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Nubian Heritage Bookstore?

For my New York folks out there, has anyone stepped into the Nubian Heritage in Harlem lately? Well if you haven't, let me prepare you.

The six or so bookcases that they had in the middle of the floor have been replaced with small little tables. As you can imagine, the tables don't fit many books.

Now I know they have their successful body care line and the overpriced cafe, but didn't they refer to themselves as a bookstore in the past? Or did I make that up?

I wouldn't be so dismayed if 1) the store was so freakin big, what's up with the upstairs? talk about space to do soooo much. Oh how I would love to do a top notch literary, wine & books event there 2) wasn't in a great location in Harlem, truly a neighborhood spot that could do lots to promote culture 3) if there wasn't an overall lack of independent bookstores.

Anywho if anyone has the inside track on what's going on, hit a sista up. I'm truly, truly confused.

Maybe our heritage isn't in books?

1 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger D.S. White said...

LOL... love the understated "is-it-just-me-or?" sarcasm there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home