The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Did I lie to Harry Belafonte?

I've been writing for a long time. I self-published my first book at age 5, no bull. I mean I haven't published a book since then, but I've been in the game for a minute. Sidebar, don't you love when singers and rappers say they've been singing/rapping/performing since they were two years old?

Anyway. I've been writing for awhile, but never officially. I've never told anyone, when asked what I do, that I was writer.

So on my recent trip to Jamaica, I stayed a couple of days in Kingston. While chilling by the pool, who do I see chilling at the poolside restaurant? Harry Belafonte. WOW.

At first, I didn't want to bother him. You know he was chilling. Plus all these people were going up to him and I didn't want to be one of those...

But I changed my mind. I did want to be one of those.

So I go up to him and he's a gentlemen, real old school in the best way possible. We need more men like him. He drops wisdom without trying. Then he asks my friend and I about ourselves. And he asks me what I do, and I say, "I'm a writer."

Where did that come from? I have no idea. I wasn't necessarily trying to Big Up myself, but the words just seemed to flow.

So now I'm like, I don't want to be a liar. I don't want to let Mr. Belafonte down. I need to stop fighting the feeling. I need to embrace the writer side of me. And it was that simple, after all these years.

Yep, I'm a writer. That wasn't so hard. Oh and I'm officially working on several projects none of which are near finished!

3 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jamaica kincaid called herself a writer even before she got published. one of the hardest things about being a writer is convincing people you are one. that means even yourself. felicia, you've been published repeatedly now and you run one of the best sites in the book publishing biz. it's time to wear your badge of honour.
on another note, does backlist have a myspace page?

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

thanks very much for the words, they mean a lot. you are so right! it is definitely a process, but the time is now, right?

no backlist myspace page, yet. I have one. I'm thebookchick.

hit me up with yours.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger HappyBrownGirl said...

Good on You...claim it. We don't have to wait to be crowned anything! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home