The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Monday, February 27, 2006

Octavia Butler

I had no idea that Ms. Butler passed on Friday. And when I tried to google it, it didn't even come up immediately.

There's just too much death going on. And at 58? That's too young.

I saw Ms. Butler about two years ago at the Yari Yari conference in New York. She mentioned taking a break from writing (she had just finished Fledgling), due to illness. But she said she was feeling better and believe me she was still so sharp and poignant and political. Her presence was so incredibly strong. I am glad I at least had that opportunity to hear her speak truth. Because that is what she did and in the most creative way, she spoke truth.

Rest in peace, Ms. Butler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home