The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Walk Down Memory Lane

As a teenager, i used to hang out at Security Square Mall, in Baltimore, the newest location for Karibu Books (which was supposed to be up and running but ran into a few snags, but is apparently good to go.)

Those were some good times. It would be like 10 of us. A girls clique and a group of dudes, chilling at the mall. I know that malls are now trying to combat that because of spikes in crime. But it was alot of fun, a meeting spot to get digits (i guess folks don't say that anymore). I remember my boyfriend worked at the Great Cookie (talk about all the cookies I ever wanted) and I would go there to hang out while he was working and of course to thwart the efforts of other girls trying to get at him. Geez have times changed...

I went to Security mall about a year ago. It was pitiful. I couldn't even tell you what stores they had. I vowed never to return...

but now I reckon i have a reason. It sounds like Karibu is necessary for the mall, might breathe some life back into the mall.

3 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger slb said...

ah, hail milford high, right?

(i used to love that song. that's kind of sad. i still know the words. "in coming years, fond mem'ries will retur-urn! our loyalty will flame and ev-er buuuurn!")

i was karibu at security over winter break. it doesn't give me the same warm and fuzzy feeling that the pg plaza location has always provided me. (i used to go there when i lived in dc. loved!)

but hopefully it will become for security what it became for pg plaza... in time.

still haven't been to urban knowledge at mondawmin or owings mills. how's that one?

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

i knew you could relate, brings back memoirs doesn't it?

Oh Milford Mill, what a long time ago! wow i didn't know the words!

i've only been to the urban knowledge in owings mills. It is a little quiet, but I went when it just opened. It has to find its stride. It is literally around the corner from Borders so there's stiff competition.

Did you know that Hecht's is closing?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger slb said...

My mother just told me that this weekend. She was like, "The Hecht Co. is a Baltimore institution!" That's true, I think. It's that for DC, too.

That's pretty bittersweet.

I'll try to check out Urban Knowledge when I'm home again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home