The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Random

I just realized during my 45 minute subway commute into Manhattan that there's nothing sexier than a brother reading a book on the train. And it really doesn't matter to me what it is--the bible, K'wan, Da Vinci Code, John Grisham, Stanley Crouch. It don't matter.

Shrine of the Black Madonna and BIBR are sponsoring a short story contest. I'm thinking about entering one of the three short stories I have written. Yes I only have three. And trust, I struggled with those...

I know I'm late but the winners of the Hurston/Wright award were announced. Maryse Conde is one of my favorites. I think I have mentioned that before. I thought Chris Abani had other fiction before Graceland (which is on my never-ending list to read). I enjoyed Warrior Poet, read it for a class.

Maryse Conde, Who Slashed Celanire's Throat (Fiction)
Alexis De Veaux, Warrior Poet (Nonfiction)
Chris Abani, Graceland (Debut fiction)
Tracy Price-Thompson, A Woman's Worth (Contemporary fiction)

2 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm Shawn Taylor and I'll also be on 1440 this Saturday. I just published a book entitled: Big Black Penis; Misadventures in Race and Masculinity and will be speaking about it. This is the first that I have ever read your blog and am oh so very happy. A sister involved in publishing, too? And from Brooklyn? You're a godsend. I'll be linking your blog to mine in hopes of contibuting to your exposure. I am looking forward to the weekend.

Be well.

Shawn Taylor
http://socialvirus.blogspot.com/

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

hey shawn. thanks so much for stopping by and for all the kind words! Thanks for letting me know about your book. i got to check it out. The radio show should be fun, can't wait to hear what you got to say.

Have you read Scott Poulson-Bryant's HUNG?

http://www.thebacklist.net/issue13/article6.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home