The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Zadie is a star

No really she is. So much so that her appearance at B&N today in Union Square was strictly a signing, no reading. I thought that was pretty whack, but I'm not mad at her. How could I be, she doesn't decide these things (or maybe she does, but I still don't fault her) and she is indeed worth waiting in line for.

So I waited about 30 minutes not so bad, even though the line that bended around aisles looked longer than that, it moved fairly quickly. I would guesstimate about 100 folks waited in line, five of us could be considered black. But who's counting?

Zadie is really tall. And incredibly beautiful. She seems so poised to be only 29. Maybe because at 25 people tell me I look like I'm 19. She seemed very warm when she signed my books. Asked me if I was enjoying Nicole Krauss' The History of Love because I had a copy of it in my hand. I told her I had already read half of it and really liked what I read. She said she thought it was great.

Anywho, I got On Beauty and started reading it on the train. She has an uncanny ability to capture the nuances of personality, dialogue and relationships between her characters. I really admire that about her writing. I read White Teeth, but not Autograph Man. All the reviews are saying how this third book is a return to form, similar style to White Teeth.

Can't wait to continue reading it.

3 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger WiseYoungMan said...

I heard about the event, you're so lucky to live in NYC. I wish I was there.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Laylah Queen of the Night said...

I remember her first reading at Union Sq BN back in 2001. She looked scurred as a mug. She was only 24 I think and just came out with WT.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

well she definitely has matured, i guess getting the limelight at a young age will do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home