The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Kingston comes Brooklyn

I could never be a full-time event planner. Geez, talk about stressful. The Kingston Comes to Brooklyn event that I co-hosted with the wonderful folks at Akashic Books went rather well on Saturday. But oh the pre-event anxiety is too much. The million questions: Will anyone show up? What if the authors don't show up? What if people are totall disinterested? How will I feel if no one shows? What if the dj doesn't know anything about reggae?

Luckily we had a nice crowd at Danny Simmons Corridor Gallery. Marlon James and Christopher John Farley were great, and the audience was geninuely interested in them. Books were sold, people drank the wine and liked the cheese. The dj was on point, playing a mix of classic and contemporary reggae. It was a nice scene.

I met some BackList subscribers which is always great. And although I missed many folks (that said they were coming, but didn't come, I'm not bitter), it is always nice to connect with people I communicate with through cyberspace.

Although I can't stand all the anxiety (you would think I was planning the Million Booklover March or something), it is a true joy when it all comes together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home