The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Hung

Last night I attended the pre-launch party for Hung: A Meditation on the Measure of Black Men in America by Scott Poulson-Bryant. This was some swanky ish. It was definitely an industry event that was not your ordinary book party (at least the ones I go to). It was at the House of Courvoisier which was this dope, dope loft equipped with rooftop pool and view of Manhattan. Courvoisier provided all the liquid libations (I had a Courvoisier Sangria for the first time and all though I am not usual fan of Courvoisier, I was last night), there was traveling appetizers, and we all left with goodie bags.

What was also great about last night besides all the beautiful, male waiters and bartenders was the fact that the event was like a black folks in publishing reunion. It was great to see my publishing colleagues of color.

Poulson-Bryant was a founding editor at Vibe and his writing has appeared in the usual places that young, hip urban journalists want their writing to appear. I started reading the book on the train and he is definitely putting it out there. Thus far, it’s honest (which is very refreshing, when do you ever hear a man honestly talk about their body and sexuality and the psychology behind it all?), insightful (you are literally given a peak inside a man’s psyche), and engaging. Review TK.

I have to say thank you to the wonderfully nice Clarence Haynes for inviting me. He is an editor (and a brother) at Harlem Moon/Doubleday/Random House and the editor that worked on Hung. Thanks for letting me indulge in the swanky face of books. Very well done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home