The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Monday, September 19, 2005

Good food goes a long way

I forgot how funny and crazy Angry Black White Boy is until hearing the author Adam Mansbach read from it yesterday at KGB. Maybe it was Adam’s skill as reader, he was really into which helped the crowd get into it. This is indeed a skill that should be promoted and cultivated in workshops, for some authors, they just aren’t good at it. He even memorized his prologue, which flows like a long hip hop verse. He definitely has that I-have-performed-before-can't-you-tell sort of confidence going on when reading.

Last Thursday, went to a launch party of the paperback edition of Norman Kelley’s R&B (Rhythm & Business): The Political Economy of Black Music. This was a laid-back get together at a small bar in Brooklyn. But let me tell you, the food was off the hook. There was fried chicken, rice and beans, some sort of marinated bake chicken and other delectables that I didn’t get a chance to try. Had I known it was going to be food-food (the invite said appetizers) I would came to eat dinner. Trifling, I know. But the food was that good. Want to have a launch that folks will talk about (or folks like myself that like to eat)? Get some banging food!

1 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

i had never seen Adam in person, only talked with him over email. i was surprised with his comfort of being in front of the crowd, he seemed very natural.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home