The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Monday, October 02, 2006

Crazy Email

I've gotten my share of nonsensical emails, but this one takes the cake, thus I decided to put it o blast. Let me know if I'm the only one that's confused.

From: "The Onyxx" (he doesn't state who he is. Of course not.)

You mention Asha Bandele, and excuse her misconduct, particularly in regards to
that "husband" of hers on death row who killed a man. I'm going to have call you
a dumb bitch because you deserve that title. Asha Bandele met this man while
volunteering for a prison poetry project and had conjugal visits with him that
resulted in a child. You can't talk trash about any black man particularly after
this sick spectacle that you showcase on your website excusing the death of
another human being because this dumb broad Asha Bandele wanted to get
laid.....and to think I actually read your literary newsletter. Now I know you
are full of bs. If you're going to allow some dumb ignorant broad like her speak
in your newsletter, you might as well as let any black writer speak include Luke
from 2 Live Crew. Heard he has an interesting book out! Let's not be hypocrites!


So here's my response:

First, if you are going to call me a Bitch I would think you would at least have
the courage to say who you are. But I'm not mad. It's obvious that you have a
lot of misguided anger. Trust, I know your kind. So much so that I won't bother
trying to help you understand that you don't know what the hell you're talking
about and that your attempt at emailing me nonsense is futile. Perhaps
you get off on sending anonymous, nonsensical emails.

Brother,
you've got issues and too much time on your hands. And unfortunately for you,
I'm not the one that you need to contact about them. Go read a book. Hey go read
asha's book (you'll learn that she married the man you speak of). If you
have time, and I'm sure you do, go read The Autobiography of Malcolm
X. This book may give you some insight into prison, forgiveness, and
second chances.

While you're at it, expand your vocabulary.
Learn to express yourself without calling a black woman a bitch. Do
something productive instead of sending me an email calling another
black woman a silly broad. Because honestly, whatever point you are trying
to make is null and void just from the simplistic nature of your
name-calling. That's what children resort to when they are angry.

But I'm sure this entire email will go right over your head. You
don't want to discuss, you want to be angry and hateful. I, on the other hand,
have too much work to do in the world.

Peace be with you. And don't contact me again.


And for those that like a good soap opera. "The Onyxx" responds with:

Practice what you preach. She married the man while he was in prison on
death row dumb ass. It's obvious that you come from a broken home and have some
misguided issues that you place on any black man criticizing you. You really
need to have a heart to heart talk with your mother who caused you to make poor
choices.

The reason you contacted me is because that's what you
are. I hit close to home and you had to respond to validate it. Peace be with
you. Don't contact me. You sound desparate.

=====

Desperate for what, I'm not sure. And I'm sure he couldn't explain it to me if he tried. He was criticizing me? Oh I thought he was just calling me out my name.

9 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Felicia,
Ignore that silliness, and keep doin' what'cha doin' girl! I'm a writer, and I appreciate it! As for that guy, he sounds like he has been locked up. He really sounds like the con Damon Wayans portrayed on, In Living Color. The one who tried to use words, but all in the wrong contexts.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on now, the invective from this guy is really uncalled for. We get that this "critic" is in complete disgust with Bandele's choice in a mate, but he's assuming that you hold the same relationship standards as Bandele does, simply because you interviewed her for The Backlist? This is preposterous.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Gwyneth Bolton said...

Wow. He's an idiot. You did him a kindness by even responding to him. The work you're doing is vital and important. Don't sweat the dummies...

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

yes, yes. i just thought it was so crazy.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger slb said...

okay, consider yourself famous. once you start getting mail like this, your readership's gotten really, really broad.

when i started working at the newsletter three years back, i got mail like this after about six months on the job. for every ridiculous attempt at offense in my inbox, there were dozens of kudos and commendations. and for those dozens, there are thousands of "lurkers," reading and enjoying with silent appreciation.

all that said, if i recall, we didn't even put anything in about her relationship with her husband *or* specifically about the prisoner's wife and its implications.

he came outta left field, as the intentionally uninformed are wont to do.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

yes left field is a nice way of putting it. famous, ha!

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with G. Bolton. Just ignore him. Next time hit the delete button and keep on doing what you do because you do a good job.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Felicia! I have actually been trying to find an email address for you. I read your article in Upscale Magazine (the one with Monique on the cover)and found it very refreshing. Aside from that Im just curious to know..are you from the NYC area. My last name is Pride and I am originally from NYC with much of my family still there. Since I have yet to run into a Pride with no relation, I just had to ask. You never know when or where you find family. Peace and Blessings on continued success!

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous announcements said...

I don't entertain crazy people. They are very annoying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home