The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Capital Book Fest

Has it really been 7 days since my last blog entry? Geez. Time flies.

Saturday, I attended the second annual Capital Book Fest. It is co-produced by Kwame Alexander. I met Kwame through BackList. He wrote a controversial piece for the site a couple of years ago. Kwame had some strong opinions about the state of black literature, but don't get it twisted, he's not one of those that just talks without action.

The Capital Book Fest is a great literary event that supports literary arts in P.G. County. Panels were hosted inside the Borders store as well as on the parking lot. I thought the Borders connection was very smart. Self-published authors had an opportunity to exhibit and sell books as well.

I was on a panel that discussed black publishing. My fellow panelists included Marita Golden, Jonathan Luckett, and Christopher Chambers.

I have to be honest, I was very excited to hear Ms. Golden was going to be on the panel, because I've wanted to meet her for quite some time. We were finally able to connect and she's just as smart, warm, and committed as I knew she would be.

I thought we had a good panel. We discussed the publishing industry, tips for writers, publishing horror stories, and ways we can increase literacy in the community. People afterwards told us that they got something from it. That was good to hear because sometimes panels fall flat.

Kudos to all those involved in the planning and execution of the Capital Book Fest!

3 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger slb said...

i totally forgot that this was last weekend. (you know that saying, "i don't know if i'm going or coming?" yeah. that's pretty much how i feel right now.) as always, i'm sorry i missed this, but i'm so glad the panel went well, though!

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh miss pride, i just posted some useful information for you and your fellow readers on my site about the montreal literary festival. this is my way of persuading you to come to canada. believe me when i say we need all the black lit folks we can get.

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We came down from Baltimore, and we agree completely with you about the success of Capital BookFest. Really great to see representation from all genres. The conversation with Juan Williams was excellent. Kudos to Kwame and all concerned!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home