The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Monday, July 24, 2006

How to Throw a Banging Literary Party

On Sunday, I had the pleasure to attend Linda Duggins's and Marcia Mayne's Hot Fun in the Summertime Literary Party at Pier 63.

I had a ball. Well I should say we, my mother and I, had a ball. She's in town visiting. In fact I haven't had that much fun at a literary event in a long time. How'd they do that you ask?

1) A venue on the water. A pier that swayed with the water. A priceless breeze and perfect weather.

2) People that were interested in a good time. Not scared to dance. I couldn't sit my tail down, the music was that good. I think I danced for about 2 solid hours (with the occasional break). My mother was out there hurtin' em with her cha-cha.

3) A dj that knows the classics and the new stuff. 70's disco, a little down south crunk, some salsa, some Teena Marie, a splash of usher (just like the literature represented, we embraced all types of genres)

4) A happy bookseller with enough copies of the books by all the authors in attendance.

5) A nice mix of authors from serious, biography, to breezy and fun. The readings were kept relatively short and sweet. No stuck-up authors. These writers were mingling, talking with readers, signing copies, dancing and enjoying themselves.

6) Access to a full service bar and some food. My mother had her honey beer and I had a pretty good daiquiri. Did I mention the drinks were cheap? I forget I was in New York momentarily.

7) The event was FREE! No admission fees.

What more can you ask for? I hope this will continue annually, because I'm there!

2 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger AALBC.com said...

Hey Ms. Pride,

Yeah you ain't tellin no tales. That was a good party.

Glad you liked the DJ I helped provide that service DJ Flow and I go back probably more years than you have been living.

Glad to read you had a good time. Sorry to hear about you mixed view on the Harlem Book Fair.

I stumbled across you Blog updating DuEwa page on AALBC.com (http://aalbc.com/authors/duewamfrazier.htm) I added a link to the interview you did with her.

We are all connected Sis.

Keep up the good work.

Peace,
Troy

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

Hey Troy--

Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment! Yes I had a ball at the party. DuEwa is great.

Felicia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home