The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Games Black Girls Play: Learning the Ropes from Double Dutch to Hip-Hop

i am so behind in my reading, it's ridiculous! but I definitely want to read this.

I remember the day I learned to double-dutch. I was a late-bloomer, an 8th grader in Baltimore, Maryland. See there wasn't any double-dutching on the "streets" of West Orange, New Jersey, where I lived until 7th grade. Man. I would stay after school for hours double-dutching with some girls who became my friends strictly based on our admiration for the activity.

Those were good days.

5 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger slb said...

dude. people double-dutch in baltimore?

where was i??? lol

also: i finally stopped by urban knowledge at owings mills, and i dug it. bought a ya book for a cousin ("blue tights" - rita williams-garcia)

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Nothing got my young "loins" excited back in the day like seeing gurls double-dutch..

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger HappyBrownGirl said...

I'm from Prince George's County, MD and never learned. I am still a little ashamed as I remain fascinated at those who can. Sometimes I can jump in after careful deliberation, but I sure as heck can't get out!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

oh rita williams-garcia is great. She has some great books and I remember talking to her briefly at a Harlem Book Fair a few years ago, very nice.

Great you got to check out the store.

Girl I was double-dutching after school at Deer Park!

 
At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that shit is stupid in baltimore

 

Post a Comment

<< Home