The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Q&A with Colson Whitehead

I look forward to his new book. He has an incredible imagination. Read the TimeOut Q&A with him.

Has anyone ever heard him read?

I remember going to a reading by Colson and he had a very distinct reading voice, very different from his regular voice. It was kind of strange/freaky--and I first thought he was conjuring up the character (he was reading from John Henry Days) but he had the same voice when he read excerpts from the then-not-yet-published collection of essays about New York. I wonder if he still uses that voice. I had never really heard an author alter their voice that way when reading.

3 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have The Intuitionist here on my book shelf, which I tried to read a few years ago, but just couldn't get into it for some reason. I never returned the book, because I thought I just wasn't giving it enough of a chance. Perhaps I should try it again.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the same way. Funny. I will pick it up again.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger slb said...

ditto, you two. i bought 'the intutionist' in september '05. i also own his book of essays on new york. and about three years ago, i checked 'john henry days' out from the library.

i've never finished any of the three.

but there's something intriguing about him, even if i don't quite "get" his work.

i did read a short story of his once. i think it was in an anthology kevin young edited (or maybe kevin powell?). it had something to do with a bodega. i dug it, even if i can't remember any of the details....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home