The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Friday, August 05, 2005

Slate on Terry

Interesting (okay I really need to find a new word). How about critical. There is a critical review of Terry McMillan as a writer in Slate. Even though I didn’t agree with everything in the piece, (like the comparison of Terry to Tom Wolfe), Curtis raised some interesting observations like: as Terry grows (in financial wealth/status) so do her heroines.

But the question that made me go hmmmmm, was: Is Terry McMillan "the most novelistic talent of any chick-lit writer, or the most chick-lit talent of any literary novelist"?

Is Terry McMillan a literary writer? Does it matter considering all that she has accomplished? My guess would be that she doesn’t give a hot damn if folks consider her “literary” or not. I don’t blame her.

4 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Tavis Smiley she said she is not a literary writer. I don't consider her literary either. She's definitely commercial fiction and good at it.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Shelia said...

I think she's good no matter how someone tries to categorize her.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Felicia Pride said...

well if she says she is commercial, that's all i need to know.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she's gotten more commercial as time has passed. Was waiting to exhale commercial at the time? Was Mama? Not that I'm complaining. Everyone can't be Toni Morrison. Ms Morrison is deep, but wouldn't life be dull if everything had to be as 'literary'...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home