The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Monday, August 01, 2005

HBF: just a blog entry, nothing more, nothing less

This is really a sub-par report. I should write more about the Harlem Book Fair. But since I probably won’t, let’s just call it what it is: a blog entry (and a shout-out list).

This year’s HBF was…interesting. It was the first year that I exhibited and I have to say I felt a little restricted. I usually walk around, attend panels, talk to folks, etc. but not so much this year.

On the flip side, people came to me and I could talk more freely with people I may not have gotten to meet otherwise. So that I can say was a plus.

It was great teaming up with Okaybooks. We are basically two websites trying to do the same thing: promote good books. Brian Peterson, the editor of Okaybooks is also a published author and he pretty much sold out of his books and didn’t come to sell books. I guess that is how you have to do it?

But the vibe this year seemed different. I can’t exactly pinpoint why although I am sure I can put you in the correct neighborhood. The shift towards street books was obvious because many of these authors of hardcore marketers and you can’t be mad at them for it (except when a little girl with a flyer for Drugs & Sex comes up to you while you are talking and pushes a flyer in your face)

Bottom line we all know too much of anything (fats, sweets, alcohol, street books, wack hip-hop, scholarly books folks can’t understand, those beaded slippers they sell on the street, I could go on) ain’t never good. I personally thrive off of BALANCE.

For me, meeting people face-to-face was the best part. There were some great highlights (pictures coming soon) I caught up with some great folks:

Black Artemis, who was so incredibly warm and gracious! Can’t wait to read Picture Me Rollin’.

I picked up a “Read More” t-shirt from Ron Kavanaugh. What an appropriate slogan. I really admire all his work with Mosaic. He is one of the reasons why I felt I could start BackList.

I met Emily Raboteau, author of The Professor’s Daughter accidentally. I’ve been wanting to read that book and of course even more so now.

OJ Lima, author of No More Squares also stopped by the booth for a signing. His deal: Anyone that could be him in backgammon would win a copy of his book. Folks were shook.

Robert Fleming was strolling around and had some kind words to say about BackList. If you haven’t read Havoc After Dark, I recommend it.

My wonderful contributing writer, stacia brown was in the house, haven’t seen her since high school, which is a shame, but it does prove why the internet is so wonderful.

Yvonne Bynoe was at my booth for a little while for a signing. If only more people would have stopped by to meet her. She is so on point.
Mark Anthony Neal was up from his post at Duke University and posed for a photo with the BackList t-shirt he bought (these like photos are coming soon!). It was great to see him.

I know I am missing folks including all those that stopped by the booth to chat. It was so wonderful to connect with people on that hot, hot day in Harlem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home