The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Friday, July 22, 2005

Book readings

i've been wondering lately about the effectiveness of the book reading, not from the standpoint of a bookperson, but from the business/sales standpoint. The last few readings I went to have not been well-attended, hardly any books were sold. Now I enjoyed myself but I think about the people that attend readings for authors who may not be McMillan, Sedaris, Madonna. For authors who aren't household names or haven't yet established a core following it seems that the people that come out for their readings are: family/friends, agent/editor and folks who just like to go to author readings. And the second group, i am learning isn't that large of a group.

I think of many of my friends and most of them have never been to an author reading.

I think the benefits of the reading are for the connection with the audience and I must say I am a big supporter of that, I think it is important and a incredibly payoff when authors do it. But i wonder how can authors attract folks in such a busy marketplace as well as attract folks who would not normally attend an author reading.

I'm rambling. more later.

1 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger Lawrence said...

I've always said that readings are both necessary and probably the least effective marketing tool for authors. But you have to do them. You have to build a personal connection with your readers to build loyalty. But they can be ineffective, particularly if you have only a few folks attending.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home