The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Fabulous Books Pt. 2

More on the fabulous books that have arrived:

Freshwater Road (Agate, August 2005) by Denise Nicholas. This is the debut novel of Denise Nicholas, an actress that starred in In The Heat of the Night. It received a starred PW review. It tells the story of one young woman's coming of age via the political and social upheavals of the civil rights movement.

Next up: John Crow's Devil (Akashic, September 2005) by award-winning artist and writer, Marlon James. James lives in Kingston, Jamaica and the book is about a bibilical struggle in a remote Jamaican village in 1957. It sounds so intriguing.

I just can't believe people when they say there aren't many good books being published. I think they just don't look hard enough.

2 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Mark Anthony Neal said...

I didn't know that Denie Nichols was a writer. I had a major crush on her when I was a serious shorty, watching her on Room 222 and in a couple of the Cosby/Poitier flicks. There were alos rumors about Bill Withers abusing her while they were married. I wonder how much of her "real" life shows up in this book's pages.

MAN

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger slb said...

just because she's denise nicholas, i'll check that book out. i dig her. she always makes me think of "a piece of the action" (among my favorite '70s movies).

john crow's devil looks dope, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home