The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

My City Paper review of Icarus Girl

Breaking into writing about books has been difficult for me (music seemed much easier). I guess that is why I started, BackList, to create a venue for myself.

But here is a review I did for Helen Oyeyemi's Icarus Girl in the Baltimore City Paper. It didn't come out as great as I would have hoped. Oh well, what you going to do?

Readers of Backlist may see this review in the next issue! Gotta spread around content.

1 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music is always so much easier, but that's what's so great about reviewing books--the challenge. I read in a column once that if you want to be a literary critic you should stick to reading fiction, nonfiction, a little bit of pop culture, politics, and areas in which you intend to specialize. Don't be afraid to say if you REALLY hate a book and why. This columnist also advised fiction authors to stay away from writing reviews, because it becomes more about promoting their latest book and not about an objective review.
(i.e. insert author/reviewer's name here is the author of insert latest book title here which will be published this spring by insert name of publisher here.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home