The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Sunday, June 26, 2005

For my Bmore Peeps

This is strictly for my Bmore peeps. Not sure if there are any out there, except Ms. Brown, but this is pretty big news.

The popular Karibu bookstore (known for holding down PG County will great author events, etc) will be opening a branch in Security Square Mall located in the beautiful Baltimore suburbs? Yes Security. The last time I was in town, I stopped in Security to get a key made. No I didn't go there to do any shopping. Icouldn't believe my eyes. That mall is falling apart.

Now you can look at this in two ways--either the Karibu brothers think they can add something too the declining mall or they aren't familiar with the many businesses that come and go in that place. I wish them the best, but I would have suggested a spot on Liberty Road before I suggested opening in Security. Maybe even Mondawmin before Security. Security is becoming the next Reistertown Plaza--a total of four stores open, the rest closed.

Karibu is one of the strongest Black bookstores in the country, so I definitely trust that they know what they are doing. Maybe now I'll have a reason to go to Security when I visit.

1 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger slb said...

weeeell...

i'm torn on this issue, ms. pride. first off, as one of the lone b-more-raised people who've actually stayed in b-more into adulthood (i *must* be kinda crazy), i'm elated that karibu is coming over here now. i went to the pg plaza location so often in college that i have really felt a void since moving back here (especially with the sibanye closing).

i sometimes go to security to eat at cactus willie's (don't ask. heh.), so i've seen the signs for karibu and i'm not sure if b. dalton is still there, but if not, then it's great that they're bringing books back to that mall.

but yeah, i'm with u. they definitely should've chosen a different location. have u been to owings mills mall lately? it's falling apart, too. they even took out the gap/gap kids! i'm biased, of course, because that mall's right up the street from me.

all that said? i'm hoping karibu will gentrify security. maybe it's all about marketing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home