The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hurston/Wright Awards

I had the pleasure to attend the Hurston/Wright Award banquet last friday. Thanks Kalisha! It was my first year, and I was very impressed. It was well organized and classy but not pretentious. I brought my mother with me because she says she likes stuff like that. While we were snacking on appetizers, she's like isn't that the actor?

I look over and sure enough, it's Morgan Freeman, chilling. He comes over to where we were standing, says hello and continues chilling. If I wasn't so shy (I am really) I would have accosted him to talk about acting.

Anywho, the ceremony was hosted by the sista detective from Law & Order. Her real name is S. Epatha Merkerson. She was a trip and had everybody laughing. She reminded me of a outspoken aunt. I thought she was a great host because she brought a certain realness to the event.

Read this article to see who won.

Denise Nicholas won for Debut Fiction. Isn't this like award number 10 or something?

Anyway, I urge everyone to support the Hurston/Wright Foundation in any way you can. They are doing important work for Black literature.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Christopher Chambers said...

Unlike the Quills, I think a lot of thought goes into picking winners who are dedicated to the craft. David Anthony Durham and Martha Southgate are among authors who don't get the mass appeal recognition they richly deserve.

I was there, too! Loved the way Epatha set up Marita for being in Antigua, because it was pretty damn cold that night in DC...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home