The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Friday, August 18, 2006

Publishing Gripe #1

I have a few gripes with the publishing industry. I think that is because I realize how important this business is. It's a fascinating and flawed industry but I've decided to make a career out of it nonetheless.

So periodically I will be airing my gripes. Here's the first one.

Publishers: I have never heard the average reader say, "I don't want to read that book, it came out six months ago." Most readers don't care if the book has been published in the last 3-6 months. Media, yes media cares, but the folks that buy the books don't.

I know. I know about limited resources available to push books. I know about frontlist vs. backlist. I know that the book pipeline is always filled and there is a short window before publicists, editors, marketing folks have to think about books on the next season.

But we all know that. And because we know that, what can we do to actively promote books beyond the average 3 month period? Some books take longer to find their audiences, how do we give those books the attention they need? After publicity campaigns, what can we do to market directly to readers?

That's one thing that I admire about many self-published authors. Many of them push their books until copies are gone (cause they have to recoup their investment.) They push all their books at the same time, not just the new one.

I know this problem is much more complicated than this blog can address, but it's something to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home