The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Christopher John Farley

So I planned to go to two readings yesterday.

The first was Terry McMillan at Hue-Man in Harlem. I've never seen her read and with all that is happening, thought it could be a good time. I got there about 15 minutes late, thus I was right on time. Nope. Filled to capacity. Sistas got there early. And many were mad they couldn't get to see her read. They did have a television screen setup where you could view the reading. I wasn't mad, I was just hot. Literally, this weather is too much for me. So I felt a little discouraged due to the heat and the subway ride uptown so I decided to leave and go to reading number two (which put me closer to my house).

Christopher John Farley was reading at 7:00 at McNally Robinson from his new book Kingston by Starlight. The turnout was almost the opposite of Terry's, which meant it was rather intimate. I was able to chat with Christopher a little while about books (mixed with my rants about what's wrong with publishing) to my thoughts on remixing the traditional book reading. It was a good time, got my signed copy and am adding it high on the reading list. If anyone has read it, I would be interested in knowing what you thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home