The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

New Black Man

So I got my hardback (some folks still say that) copy of Mark Anthony Neal's New Black Man. I am almost finished with it. I wish I had the time to write a lengthy review because the book deserves it.

But I do know it should (will) be mandatory reading for every black male I know. I am considering how that will be done. Yeah I am going to put the PRESSURE on. You want to talk? Have you read New Black Man yet?

I admire Mark Anthony Neal's mix of scholar, hip-hop, and feminisim. His writing is acessible and smart, down-to-earth and provocative. The book isn't preachy, but more of one man's realization of his need to change his thinking and actions beyond the box that is the StrongBlackMan. The theory of the StrongBlackMan could have been a book in itself, but Neal also tackles being a father in a world filled with misogynistic images, teaching students that blackness is broad and fluid, and trying to match his public thoughts with his personal actions.

The book is incredibly honest and I salute Mark for writing a book that needed to be written.

Now we got to get folks reading it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home