The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Badassssss

So I am leaving for Brooklyn for good today (except to return to Boston to walk across the stage and get my degree). I start work on Monday, there is no break.

So may be a few days before I blog again. Have to get my internet connection and all that.

Anyway, I'll leave with this. I watched Badasss last night--the movie Mario Van Peebles did pretty much reenacting his father's trials and tribulations independently producing Sweet Sweetback Badasss Song (I think I got the title of the movie correct). Anyway it was good, I had no idea how much Melvin Van Peebles went through to make this movie. His dedication was unwavering. He was kind of an asshole, but he knew as did everyone around him.

What does this have to do with publishing. Well one of the reasons the movie did so well (it was the highest grossing independent film of 1971) was because the Black Panthers mobilized and supported this movie around the country. At the end they had commentary with one of the Black Panthers and he talked about how they supported the movie, they wrote about it in their newspaper, etc.

So I started thinking, what if communities rallied the same around for reading, literarcy and great literature? Could you imagine, if we supported our authors like that?

I think about publishing too much.

1 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

really enjoyed it. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home