The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Superhead and Amistad

How do I really feel that Amistad (home of The Known World) is going to publish the memoir of Superhead? You know her, the hip-hop groupie who has been connected by who's who of the entertainment world including Chris Rock (no, Chris, not when you were married, I hope). I mean publishing is a business and I am sure the higher-ups at Amistad figure they can make some money off of her. But does she really deserve a signficant book deal? I would venture to say no, but who am I, right? I just know from their vision, Amistad wants to publish important, timely works from the African diaspora (or something like that) and Superhead, just doesn't seem to align with that. Hyperion? yes. Miramax? yes. I would even say Atria.

But don't worry, Superhead isn't just dishing her dirt, her book is also going to be a cautionery tale to young girls that being a groupie won't get you far (but it sure will get you a nice book deal).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home