The BackList

This is a retired blog. For the new and improved BackList blog, please visit www.thebacklist.net!

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Junot Diaz's Drown

So I just finished Junot Diaz's Drown. I enjoyed it for many reasons--the down-to-earth language, yet the subtlety of his narrative. I spent some time in Northern, New Jersey so all the Route 9, New Brunswick, etc references brought me back. Because all 10 stories are told in a first person narrative (all as a young, Dominican male) the collection read like a disjointed novel (a good thing). It was published in 97' and it said he was working on a novel, I wonder how that is going? He visited Emerson college and was received by a pack audience. That was pretty unprecedented as most readings at the school can be poorly attended.

I am going to recommend the book to a few guy friends that don't read fiction cause "they like to keep it real". Diaz definitely paints a real coming-of-age image that I'm sure many young men of color can relate to.

Definitely was struck by his "How to Date a Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl or Halfie."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home